"We are the inheritors, the interpreters and the creators of our history."
Upper West Side History Quiz
1) Which park has a statue that pays tribute to a couple who lost their lives when the Titanic sank? a. Straus Park b. Morningside Park c. Riverside Park 2) Which Upper West Side landmark is one of the last surviving NY buildings designed by architect Richard M. Hunt? a. The Queen Ann complex at West End Avenue and W. 102nd Street b. The Hostel on Amsterdam at W. 103rd Street c. The Master Apartments at Riverside Drive and W. 103rd Street 3) Which is the name of the little row of houses and gardens behind Symphony Space on Broadway? a. Victoria's Square b. Peter's Lane c. Pomander Walk 4) Which designated NYC landmarked building on W. 89th St. & Columbus Ave. closed its doors in 2007? a. The Claremont Stables b. A Paramount Movie Theater c. Fred Astaire Dance Studio 5) Which was the original use of a large Greek revival building on the Close of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine? a. Roosevelt School b. Thompson Clinic c. Leake and Watts Orphan Home 6) Which was the prior use of the Ukrainian Academy building on W.100th St. between Broadway & Amsterdam? a. New York Free Circulating Library b. Bank of New York c. New York City Health Clinic 7) Which Upper West Side street has been renamed Duke Ellington Boulevard? a. W. 96th Street b. W. 106th Street c. W. 110th Street 8) Which is the name of the hospital converted in later years into a condo at W. 106th St. & Central Park West? a. New York Cancer Hospital b. Central Park West Hospital c. General Hospital 9) Which is the name of the museum located in a brownstone on W. 107th near Riverside Drive? a. Norman Rockwell Museum b. Nicholas Roerich Museum c. Grandma Moses Museum 10) Which historic figure sits astride a horse on a statue in Riverside Park at W. 93rd Street? a. President Ulysses S. Grant b. Louis Kossuth, Hungarian Patriot and Statesman c. Joan of Arc, Maid of Orleans Answers 1) a. Straus Park at W. 106th and Broadway is dedicated to Isidor and Ida Straus who lost their lives when the Titanic sank April 12, 1912. The couple lived at W. 105th and West End Avenue. Isidor was co-owner of Macy's department store with his brother Nathan.
2) b. The Hostel on Amsterdam at W.103rd St. is housed in the Victorian Gothic building designed by American architect Richard Morris Hunt. The first occupants, The Association for the Relief of Respectable Aged Indigent Females, occupied the building 1883-1974. It was unoccupied from 1974 until 1990 when it opened as Hostelling International-New York.
3) c. Pomander Walk. This cooperative apartment complex built in 1921 consists of twenty-seven small Tudor-esque houses located between Broadway and West End Avenue in the middle of block between W. 94th and W. 95th Streets. The complex was designed by the NY architecture firm King and Campbell. "Pomander Walk was the name of a romantic comedy that opened in New York in 1910, and these tiny houses were intended to emulate the quaint ones of the play."
4) a. The Claremont Stables, also known as the Claremont Riding Academy. The Romanesque revival building which housed the stables was built in 1892. After over 100 years in business the stables closed on April 30, 2007.
5) c. Leake and Watts Orphan Home. This Greek Revival building designed by Ithiel Town opened in 1843 near W. 112th St. and Amsterdam Avenue. In 1890 the orphanage moved to its present site in Yonkers (now known as the Leake and Watts Children's House). Renovation of the former orphanage building which has remained on the Cathedral Close was completed in 2006.
6) a. New York Free Circulating Library (Bloomingdale Branch). This library built in 1898 at 206 W. 100th St. was designed in the beaux arts idiom by architect James Brown Lord. In 1901 the library was consolidated with the NY Public Library. In 1961 the NY Public Library Bloomingdale Branch moved into its new building one block east at 150 W. 100th Street.
7) b. Duke Ellington Boulevard. Duke Ellington (1899-1974), bandleader, pianist and composer, lived for many years in a townhouse on the corner of W. 106th St. and Riverside Drive. After his death W. 106th St. was officially renamed Duke Ellington Boulevard.
8) a. New York Cancer Hospital. This hospital building built (between 1884 & 1890) on Central Park West between W. 105th & 106th Sts. was designed by architect Charles Coolidge Haight and resembles a French chateau. In 1955 the hospital moved to the East Side. The Towers Nursing Home next occupied the building until it was shut down in 1974. After decades of abandonment the building was converted into a condominium which was completed in 2005.
9) b. Nicholas Roerich Museum. From 1929 to 1938 this museum was part of the Master Institute of the United Arts (now the Master Apartments) at the corner of Riverside Drive and W. 103rd Street. The museum, dedicated to Nicholas Roerich (1874-1947), the Russian artist, philosopher and explorer, later reopened in a brownstone at 319 W 107th Street between Riverside Drive and West End Avenue.
10) c. Joan of Arc. The statue of Joan of Arc (1411-1431) dedicated in Riverside Park on December 6, 1916 was made by Anna Vaughn Hyatt Huntington. The statue is bronze; its pedestal is made of of Mohegan granite. It was commissioned to mark the 500th anniversary of Joan's birth. Note: A statue of Louis Kossuth, Hungarian Governor and fighter for independence in their 1848 Revolution, is at Riverside Drive and W. 113th Street.