This is the first in a series of pieces about structures and other features of the Bloomingdale neighborhood that are no longer here. This post was written by Pam Tice, a member of the Bloomingdale Neighborhood History Group’s Planning Committee.
For nearly 100 years, the sprawling Lion Brewery --- and its nearby Park -- took up the blocks 107 to 109 Streets between Ninth and Tenth Avenues, named Columbus Avenue and Amsterdam Avenue in 1890.
Built just after the Civil War, by 1879 the space included the Lion Park — a Beer Garden — on part of the 107-108 block east of Ninth Avenue. The brewery operations sprawled between Ninth and Tenth Avenues, including the brewery, the malt house where the barley was converted to malt, ice houses, stables, workshops and private residences.
Marjorie Cohen writes history essays for the West Side Rag, our neighborhood’s e-news reporting on the Upper West Side. Marjorie is a member of the Bloomingdale Neighborhood History Group’s planning committee.
Marjorie has lived on the Upper West Side since the mid 60s. A big fan of the neighborhood, she fought crime on the grassroots level as Executive Director of the Westside Crime Prevention Program/Safe Haven for more than 20 years. Now, with WCPP’s mission accomplished, Marjorie is concentrating on writing and editing. She is the author of seven travel books.
The Bloomingdale Neighborhood History Group thanks the editor of the West Side Rag for allowing us to share these posts.
UPPER WESTSIDE HISTORY: THE RISE AND TRAGIC FALL OF A MODEL WHO BROKE THE RULES
Posted on December 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm by West Side Rag
Editor’s Note: This is the first in a monthly West Side Rag series by Marjorie Cohen. Each month, Marjorie will choose an object or document from the archives of the New-York Historical Society that references the Upper West Side and … Read the rest of this entry >>
THE CLAREMONT INN: A LOST TREASURE ON THE BANKS OF THE HUDSON
Posted on February 7, 2012 at 12:49 pm by West Side Rag
This is the second article in our History Beat series — columns inspired by materials about the Upper West Side from the library of the New-York Historical Society. This article references items from the library’s manuscript and print collections. Many … Read the rest of this entry >>
EXTRAORDINARY TRUE TALES OF THE UPPER WEST SIDE AUTOMAT
Posted on March 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm by West Side Rag
Let's take a look back to the Upper West Side of the 1930s and a building constructed just as the Great Depression began. For decades, it was part of a delightful and innovative business experiment, and on one day in the middle of the summer of 1933 it was the scene of a strange and tragic series of ev … Read the rest of this entry >>
THE LION BREWER WHERE BEER WAS MADE ON THE UPPER WEST SIDE
Posted on May 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm by West Side Rag
Each month we choose an object from the N-Y Historical Society Library’s collection that relates to the history of the Upper West Side and use it as the focus of an article. The topic for this month’s column, the Lion [&hel … Read the rest of this entry >>